STATUS:

STATUS:
Whaddaya think?

Click Me

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Adding To The Noise

Have been busy for the past few weeks staying up late at night just to jam and practice for the Euphonious 2008 preliminary round. Finally got a load off my shoulders after today's performances. But come to think of it, I'll probably miss performing on stage just to entertain the crowd. *grins*

To be playing in Euphonious is not what I expected to be doing this year, let alone playing in 2 bands. Initially I only expected to be playing in the jazz band we formed since last year, comprising of me (vocals), Dhany (keyboard- he's brilliant and if he doesn't win best keyboardist, the judges are tone-deaf), Dr. Bambang (yes, the lecturer plays bass. And really really well), Hann (drums), Sherman (saxophone) and a string of guitarists which never really worked out. But because the thought Dr. Bambang was going to be one of the judges and due to Hann's withdrawal, we had to find replacements or just scrap the band.

Just when I almost cold storage-ed the idea of performing this year, Kee Hui came knocking. So I ended up having 2 bands after Dhany found the replacements. The band with Kee Hui was called "Project Summer" and Dhany's band was called "Confusion" (which I am, until now, confused about why it is called that).

Before prelims, I already knew what to expect as the previous year champions were joining again and many bands I knew of were very strong. But I kinda thought we stood a chance to impress at least.

Some facts you must at least know to have a clue in this post:

  1. I played drums for Confusion.
  2. I played rhythm guitar and did lead vocals for Project Summer.
  3. Both bands really rocked the stage (seriously).
  4. I thought the judges would at least say something good after the rocking performance we (Confusion) did instead of just saying "not too bad".
  5. NONE of us in Project Summer expected to actually make an impact with the audience, let alone the judges (Or even be in the Top 7!).

Thank You's:


To the band members of Confusion:-

Dhany- Brilliant. If I could describe you in 1 word that would be it. You are the fulcrum of the band and if it wasn't for you, all this wouldn't have happened. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna have lots of trouble finding a new keyboardist when u leave UTP. =D

Ofi- My new staple bassist. Hehe. After this year, we gonna have to find new band members from scratch, if Rizki and Sherman aren't interested in joining us. Enjoy grooving with you. Remember, next time we play Dream Theater. So practice harder. Our next band's name's Invictus (unconquered).

Rizki- My Hydraulics lab demonstrator. You play good guitar man. It's just a pity the sound settings went off when you were playing. or else everyone would have known how well you can play. The next Santana.

Sherman- You have some serious skills there you know that? You just have to realize how good you really are, then you'll be able to apply your skills very much more easily and be more spontaneous. Without your saxophone, our band really doesn't sound as good.

Adonis- Although you made a mistake, but that was a good performance. I'm impressed. I believe this is your first time? Well, trust me. You will get better and better with experience. Btw, enjoyed that acoustic jam session with you.

Fauzan- Even though some people didn't hear your voice clearly, I think you were good man. Thanks for being there when the band needed you.


To the band members of Project Summer:

That was really really fun. I loved the whole performance. Everyone was getting bored when they heard we were gonna sing Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger, but we showed them. *cheeky grin* All of you did well. Especially for that Oasis song. I bet this is the first time anyone did such a punk cover. Too bad the bassist couldn't jump as his cable was too short. LOL


To Hui Lyng:

Thank you so so so so so so much for being so understanding and so so so so so so supportive throughout this entire arc of practices and jamming sessions right up to the prelims. You didn't even complain when things didn't go the way we planned it to be. To me it doesn't even matter if the judges didn't think much of us. All that matters is that I have done the best I can and that you are proud of me and that I can use the talents God blessed me with. =D So proud to have you. Really appreciate you a lot a lot.


To all the bands that performed, kudos for the courage to do what many other people would not dare to do and it was fun to be adding to the noise with all of you. Congratulations to Sebastian, Stella and Vinod for going through to the final. Proud of you guys.

N.B. To those who are completely clueless, Euphonious is the name of the band competition in UTP

6 comments:

Josiah & Renae; said...

wow. very touching la ur post. haha. esp ur comments on ur band members. how come no project summer one? haha. unfair! but least expected that band raked in higher placing. good job! could see kee hui's twinkling eyes. haha. very proud of u. very very. =)

p/s : get ready for stiff competition from The Shortz next year. Haha!!!!

joe said...

God really helped a lot a lot la. seriously. If He didn't help me I would not have recovered from the sore throat and fever on time. haha. i didn't thank them individually coz i dunno the bassist's name >.<

p/s: i'm sure the shortz will cause quite a wave if they join. hehe

Josiah & Renae; said...

he's name. andrey la. no? hmmm. well. i think u should promote to ur frens back in jb too. search for them and link them up. utpians are bz.

Henry Yew said...

Hoi... you really need to learn up photoshop man! I know just a few tricks and it works wonders! You could really do up that header of yours much better!

Fortunately for me, I needn't bother with my header much as I'm using Wordpress. Hehe...

Don't bother getting a Cbox if you can't use it here in UTP. Seriously.

Unknown said...

Not really, i haf a chatbox in my blog,and it works well. nyaha..

joe said...

[hui lyng]:
andrey. hmmm. he's not bad tho, the way he plays. yea lor. i think should ask jb ppl 2 support oso. hmmm. but then u dunno where 2 find them dy.

[henry]:
oh well. have 2 try learning asap. but lately no time la.

[stella]:
yea lor. not fair. haha. the ppl who have pre-existing cbox-es still work now.